City of Los Angeles Summary of Parking Regulations
|Use of Building (or portions of) Commercial uses||Ratio (spaces/sq. ft.)|
|Health or Athletic Club, Bath House, Dance Hall/Studio, Gymnasium, or similar (e.g. amusement)||1 per 100|
|Restaurant, Café, Coffee Shop, Bar, Night Club, or similar||1 per 100|
|Small Restaurant, Café, or Coffee Shop (1000sq. Ft. or less)||1 per 200|
|Take-out Restaurant (no eating on the premises)||1 per 250|
|Retail or Discount Wholesalers||1 per 250|
|Retail Furniture, Major Appliances, or similar||1 per 500|
|Auditoriums: Church, High School, College, Stadium, Theater, and similar assembly||1 per 35 or 1 per 5 fixed seats|
|Elementary School, Child Care||1 per classroom or minimum 1per 500|
|Commercial School: Trade, Music, Professional, or similar Classrooms and assembly areas||1 per 50 or 1 per 5 fixed seats whichever is greater|
|Commercial School: Trade, Music, Professional, or similar Classrooms with heavy equipment||1 per 500|
|Philanthropic Institution, Government Office, or similar||1 per 500|
|Commercial or Business Office||1 per 500|
|Medical Office, Clinic, or Medical Service Facility||1 per 200|
|Hospital||2 per bed|
|Sanitarium or Convalescent Home||1 per 500 or min 0.2 per bed|
|Warehouse or Storage (for Household Goods) - first 10,000 sq. ft. - beyond 10,000 sq. ft||1 per 500 (plus) 1 per 5000|
|Other Business or Commercial (not listed above)||1 per 500|
|Auto Dismantling Yard, Junk Yard or Open Storage in the M2 or M3 zones [Sec.|
|6 for the first acre, 1 per 12,000 sq. ft. for the second acre and 1 for each acre over two.|
|Single-Family Dwelling (SFD)||2/dwelling|
|Two-Family Dwelling or Apartment units > 3 habitable rooms (such as a typical 2 bedroom unit)||2/dwelling|
|Two-Family Dwelling or Apartment units = 3 habitable rooms (such as a typical 1 bedroom unit)||1.5/dwelling|
|Two-Family Dwelling or Apartment units < 3 habitable rooms (such as a typical Single unit)||1/dwelling|
|Hotel, Motel, Boarding House or Dormitory first 30 guestrooms||1/guestroom|
|Hotel, Motel, Boarding House or Dormitory next 30 guestrooms||0.5/guestroom|
|Hotel, Motel, Boarding House or Dormitory remaining guestrooms||0.33/guestroom|
|Condominiums||As required by City Planning|
Regular Provisions Sec. 12.21A4
EXCEPTIONS TO COMMERCIAL REGULATIONS
1. Historical Buildings (ZI 145’s) – no change in parking in connection with a change of use within existing area.
2. Downtown Parking District (DPD) – the following uses need only provide parking at the following ratios in lieu of the parking required by the General Provisions of section 12.21.A4:
(a) Auditoriums and similar places of assembly – 1 per 10 fixed seats or 1 per 100 sq. ft. of floor area if no fixed seating
(b) Hospitals, Philathropic Institutions, Government Offices or similar uses – 1 per 1000 sq. ft. (c) Business, Commercial or Industrial – 1 per 1000 sq. ft. for buildings 7500 s. ft. or more, NO parking required if less than 7500 sq. ft. (d) Warehouse – 1 per 1000 sq. ft. for the first 10,000 and 1 per 5,000 sq. ft. for over 10,000
3. Community Redevelopment Areas (CRA) not in DPD (ZI 940, ZI 1048, ZI 1084, ZI 1352) – commercial office, business, retail, restaurant, bar and related uses, trade schools, or research and development buildings need only provide 2 parking spaces for every 1000 sq. ft. of floor area.
4. Enterprise Zones not in DPD (ZI 1643, ZI 1644, ZI 1645, ZI 1652, ZI1653) – commercial office, business, retail, restaurant, bar and related uses, trade schools, or research and development building need only provide 2 parking spaces for every 1000 sq. ft. of floor area.
EXCEPTIONS TO RESIDENTIAL REGULATIONS
1. SFD in “hillside areas” (as defined in the Zoning Code) which front on a substandard street and exceed 2400 sq. ft. of combined floor area require one additional parking space for each 1000 sq. ft. or fraction thereof for a maximum of 5 total spaces. A “substandard street” is one which does not have a minimum dedicated width of 36 ft. and a roadway of 28 ft.
2. Notwithstanding the above requirements, residential buildings in the Central City Parking District (CCPD) need only provide parking as follows: (a) Dwellings: 1 per dwelling unit, except where more than 6 dwelling units of more than 3 habitable rooms. Ratio for all such units of at least 1-1/4 for each dwelling of more than 3 habitable rooms.
(b) Guestrooms: 1 for first 20, 1/4 for next 20, 1/6 for remaining.
3. One SFD on a narrow lot (40 ft. or less), not abutting an alley, requires only 1 parking space. This does not apply to lots in Hillside Areas (defined in Zoning Code) in A1, A2, A, RE, RS, R1 and RD zones fronting on a substandard street.
4. Affordable Housing Incentives – Lowered parking requirements for “restricted affordable units” per Ordinance No. 170, 764. Areas located within Specific Plans, Interim Control Ordinances, or special districts may have different parking requirements. Zoning Section – Department of Building & Safety (LADBS)
Minimum 8 ft 6 inches wide for standard stalls serving dwelling units.
Minimum 8 ft 4 inches wide for all other standard stalls.
Minimum 8 ft 0 inches wide for all parallel parking standard stalls.
Minimum 7 ft 6 inches wide for all compact stalls.
Minimum 18 feet deep for all standard stalls.
Minimum 15 feet deep for all compact stalls.
Minimum 26 feet deep for all standard parallel stalls and 30 feet deep for end parallel stalls. 4. Minimum 23 feet deep for all compact parallel stalls and 27 feet deep for end parallel stalls
The parking requirements shown here are the typical required parking standards for the city of Los Angeles. Variance or exclusions to the parking count requirements could be allowed by the code for a specific project. The city of Los Angeles parking requirements are for general information. The Los Angeles standard parking requirements for an area can be modified by zoning overlays or other Los Angeles parking code requirements specific to each project.